Pontius Pilate, as he interrogated Jesus, questioned Jesus' statement about "truth", saying, "What is truth?" Today, this is a MAJOR issue! "Truth" is an elusive term. The brilliant mathematician, inventor, philosopher, Blaise Pascal, said, "Those who do not love truth find a pretext for themselves in the disputes of the multitude who deny it."
1. To the "idealist", truth is not fixed, but evolves, like a flower. For Immanuel Kant,and those like him, there is no distinction between truth and the process of aiming at it, saying, "There are no eternal truths."
2. To the "realists", truth is discovered by the rational man.
3. To the "pragmatist", truth is hypothetical - not discovered - truth is what works. "True ideas are those which we can assimilate, validate, corroborate and verify; false ideas are those which we cannot." (Wm James)
4. To the "existentialist", truth is lived out in life. Martin Hiedegger said, "Truth is linked with the freedom of letting be what it is; it's not a property of propositions, but an event in 'dasein' (being)."
5. To the "scientific", truth is that which is discovered by induction, observation and classification. Francis Bacon said, "In contemplation, nothing is to be respected but truth."
"JUSTICE" is the outward form of "truth", and there has been only ONE just person who lived JUSTLY - Jesus Christ. Speaking of the "Scriptures", He said, "Thy Word is truth." (John 17:17)
The Bible is the only source of ABSOLUTE TRUTH! Pascal said, "The proper role of reason is to raise itself to the higher plane of order, which is the order of truth", and there is no higher plane than God Himself!
The Apostle Paul wrote, "All Scripture is inspired by God and profitable for teaching, for reproof, for correction, for training in righteousness..." (2 Timothy 3:16) ( In other words, the Bible is a record of God's revelation to man so that man can know not only himself, but especially God who created him.)
The Bible, which claims to be the very "Word of God" (2 Peter 1:20-21, Psalm 119:89), informs us about who God is (Isaiah 44:6 - "I am the first and I am the last, and there is no God beside Me.") He declares "I, even I, am the Lord; and there is no savior besides Me." (Is. 43:11) In the New Testament, Jesus, who claimed to be one with His Father (John 14:9), said "I am the way, the truth and the life; no one comes to the Father but through Me." (John 14:6).
The writer of "Acts" (Luke, a Gentile physician)testified, "There is salvation in no one else; for there is no other name under heaven that has been given among men, by which we must be saved." (Acts 4:12) He goes on to quote the Apostle Paul, preaching in Athens, who said, "...God is now declaring to men that all everywhere should repent because He has fixed a day in which He will judge the world in righteousness through a Man whom He has appointed, having furnished proof to all men by raising Him from the dead." (Acts 17:30-31
) Paul would later write to the Corinthian church to reiterate the "Gospel" by saying, "....the gospel...is Christ died for our sins according to the Scriptures, and that He was buried, and that He was raised on the third day according to the Scriptures." (1 Cor. 15:1-4)
"By the grace of God, I am what I am, and His grace toward me did not prove vain...." (1 Cor. 15:10)
This is my testimony as well. Some 25 years ago, I came to believe in the "Gospel Truth", and my life has not been the same since - and, the change has been for the better!
If I can be of help to anyone who reads this, I would welcome the opportunity of talking/corresponding with you.
I'm married (35 years), now 55 years old, have three children (all married) with 6 grandsons. I'm a businessman concerned about "truth" (in my family, life & work), particularly as it relates to our life here and hereafter - our destiny! For those who are "in Christ", "there is no condemnation...", because "he who has the Son has life; he does not have the Son does not have life..." (1 John 5:11-12)
FRED SCHUMPERT 311 West Brow Road Lookout Mountain, TN (US) 423-825-5311/ Fax: 423-825-5312 Email: FSchumpert@worldnet.att.net